Have you ever used your iPhone to watch a video and wished you could adjust the playback settings to make the video look and sound even better? Guess what? You can absolutely change the video playback settings, and it’s much simpler than you may imagine!
Imagine being able to customize how your videos look and sound on your iPhone. So, whether you’re watching funny cat videos, emotional family moments, or thrilling action scenes, the flexibility to change your video playback settings will elevate your viewing experience.
In this article, we’ll be showing how to change video playback settings on iPhone for different platforms- including the Photos app, Apple TV app, and YouTube app.
If you still want to watch videos from Apple Music or the iTunes Store but don’t want to have all of your data erased in a flash, Apple’s updated features might be exactly what you need.
For iOS 10, they included a new quality setting that, although sacrificing some quality, allows you to manage the amount of data you need for streaming. All you have to do to get to it is:
- Open the Settings app.
- Then, scroll down to the “Videos” section.
So, how exactly do you change playback settings on your iPhone?
To know, follow the steps provided below:
- On the Home screen, select “Videos.”
- You can stream a video by scrolling and tapping it.
- To stream the video, tilt your phone sideways.
- To enter the control panel, tap the screen.
Adjust the audio settings on the iPhone:
- Go to Settings.
- Tap Accessibility
- Then tap Audio/Visual.
To adjust mono audio and balance, you need to:
- Mono Audio: Turn on mono audio to combine the left and right channels for the same.
- Balance: Drag the slider for Left-Right Stereo Balance.
You may personalize your viewing experience on your iPhone by adjusting the video playback settings within the Photos app. The Photos app puts these options at your fingertips, allowing you to change the video quality, activate subtitles, or alter playback speed.
Here’s how you can change the playback settings on the Photos app:
- Get the Photos app going.
- After choosing a video from the library, it begins to play on the following screen.
- To activate sound, tap the “Volume” logo.
- Move your finger right or left over the video timeline to fast-forward or rewind the video.
The Apple TV app provides various options to suit your preferences, whether you want to change the video quality, enable features like picture-in-picture mode, or adjust the subtitles. So, use the instructions below to change the Apple TV app’s video playback settings on your iPhone:
Step 1: First, open the Apple TV app
Find the Apple TV app on your iPhone’s home screen or in the app drawer. The icon for the app looks like a TV screen with the word “TV” on it. Tap to start the app.
Step 2: Find the video
Navigate the Apple TV app to the video you wish to watch. This might come from your library, the Apple TV subscription, or other sources of entertainment.
Step 3: Start the video
To start playback, tap on the video you want to watch. The video will start out in full-screen mode.
Step 4: Get to the playback control
At the bottom of the screen, there are playback controls that you can use while the video is playing. Play/Pause, Scrubber (for skipping across the video), and Volume Control are some of these controls.
Step 5: Modify the video setting
While the video is playing, tap the screen to access additional video playback options. Additional choices, such as settings for subtitles, audio, and video quality, will be visible.
Step 6: Adjust the audio and subtitles
By tapping the “Subtitles” icon, you can enable or disable the video’s available captions and subtitles. By tapping the “Audio” icon, you can also alter the audio track or language.
Step 7: Customize the video quality
Look for a video quality sign frequently represented by a gear or settings icon. Tap on it to change the video quality to your liking. Remember that higher resolution settings may necessitate a better internet connection for lag-free playback.
Step 8: Picture-in-Picture (PiP) mode should be enabled
You might have the choice to enable Picture-in-Picture mode if your iPhone model supports it and the app permits it. Thanks to this functionality, you are able to continue watching the video in a small window while using other apps. To start this mode, locate the PiP icon and tap on it.
Step 9: Save Settings
Tap anywhere on the screen to close the settings menu once you’ve made all the appropriate adjustments. The chnaged settings will be applied to the video as it plays on.
Customizing YouTube video playback settings on your iPhone allows you to adjust aspects like video quality, playback speed, and closed captions.
Here’s how to fast forward or backward a YouTube video on iPhone:
- Tap the “More” (three dots) icon in the upper-right corner of the playback video on your YouTube video.
- Then, choose “Playback speed” from the pop-up menu.
- After that, pick a value to alter the YouTube video’s playback speed. If you’ve changed your mind, choose “Cancel” instead.
- Double-tap the empty space on the right side of the video playback on your YouTube video to advance it by 10 seconds.
- You can also forward the movie playback by 10 seconds by double-tapping the empty space on the left side of the screen.
To change video settings:
- Tap the “More” (three dots) icon in the upper-right corner of the YouTube video as it is playing.
- Afterwards, choose “Quality” from the popup menu.
- After that, choose “Advanced” to access choices for video quality.
- Next decide on the resolution size for your preferred YouTube video.
To modify playback controls:
- On the playback screen, tap the symbol in the bottom-right corner to view your YouTube video in “Full Screen” mode. To leave full-screen mode, tap once more in the bottom-right corner.
- Tap on the “cc” icon at the top of the video playback screen to enable “closed captions” or “subtitles.” Alternatively, click the “More” (three-dot) button and select “Captions.”
How to set video quality for mobile data use
- Get your iPhone’s Settings app open.
- To get to the “Videos” option, scroll down.
- You can now select the playback quality you want to use.
To reduce data volume when using mobile data, we advise setting the playback quality to “Good.” You will benefit from quicker loading times while watching a video due to the reduced resolution.
When using Wi-Fi, you should obviously set the playback quality to “Best Available” since it has no impact on your data usage.
Why can’t I play videos on my iPhone without Wi-Fi?
If you’re unable to play videos on your iPhone without a Wi-Fi connection, there could be several reasons for this issue. Here are some common factors that might be causing the problem:
Data Usage Restrictions
The “Cellular Data” or “Mobile Data” usage setting on iPhones enables you to manage which apps are permitted to utilize mobile data. You won’t be able to play videos if the YouTube app or another video streaming app is configured to use Wi-Fi only.
Low data signal
Videos may not stream smoothly if you are in a location with a weak cellular data signal. So, you should consider moving to a location with a stronger signal.
Verify that you have the most recent version of the app installed. Bug fixes and enhancements that may impact video playback are frequently included in-app upgrades.
Your iPhone’s parental settings or content restrictions may prohibit some apps or content categories from being accessible over cellular data if they are turned on.
How do I turn on cellular data for video playback?
Here’s how to turn on or off cellular data for video playback:
- Go to Settings.
- Tap on Cellular
- Then, switch Cellular Data on or off for any application that supports it, such as YouTube, Photos, TikTok, etc.
When a setting is disabled, the iPhone only uses Wi-Fi to access that service. Also, do not forget that Wi-Fi Assist is turned on by default. This means that if the cellular network is weak, then your phone will automatically switch to Wi-Fi connectivity. Obviously, if the Wi-Fi connection is weak or unavailable, you can still access the internet with a cellular network.
In conclusion, modifying the video quality on your iPhone is a simple process. You can easily improve your viewing experience by customizing it to your tastes and network setup with just a few taps.
Hopefully this article has answered all of your queries about how to change video playback settings on iPhone. Now, adjusting your video settings according to your preferences should be a breeze.