The Weather app is a lifesaver when it comes to staying informed about the current weather conditions of any location. But knowing which location to set on the app is the tricky part. You can either set it according to your real-time physical location or choose a location manually from a list. However, sometimes, the default location on your iPad or iPhone may not be accurate or may not match your current location.
In this article, I will give you all the details about how to change weather location on iPad or iPhone in a few quick steps. The process is very easy, so no need to worry too much. To find out more, read below:
How to change weather location on iPad or iPhone based on real-time location
Checking the weather instantly for a quick look is something we all do. But in those moments, if your Apple weather widget shows the wrong location, it is annoying.
We need instant weather updates; seeing the wrong weather update from the wrong location can take you aback. Now, you can change weather locations on your iPhone or iPad in several ways. It depends on the kind of needs you have.
Sometimes, we want to know the weather of the location we are currently at. We want to see the temperature because it may be too hot or cold or simply out of curiosity. So, if the Weather app shows weather updates of a previous location, then you can change it.
Here’s how to change weather location on iPad to get real-time updates:
- Open the Settings app.
- Then scroll down and tap on the option called ‘Weather.‘
- Under Weather settings, tap on Location.
- Now, under the ‘Allow Location Access,’ choose Always to always get real-time updates.
Also, enable the toggle for Precise Location. This ensures that the Weather app gets to know your precise location instead of the approximate location. So, now you’ll get real-time accurate weather updates for your location.
Alternatively, you can:
- Go to the Settings app
- Then scroll down and tap on the option called Privacy & Security.
- At the top of that page, you will see ‘Location Services.’ Click on it.
- On the Location Services page, iOS lets you control your general location on and off settings. It also enables you to control which apps on your device will be able to access your location settings automatically. So, scroll down that page, and you will find the permissions for all apps.
- Go to ‘Weather‘. Here, you will find five options. To get real-time weather updates, choose ‘Always.’
Now, your weather app will give you instant weather updates through the app and the widget all the time.
How to set the weather location on iPad?
In this section, I will teach you how to change the default weather location on your iPad. If you want to avoid seeing the real-time weather update and instead want to check the weather of a specific location all the time, this is what you need to do. For this, you need to disable the location services for the Weather app on your iPad.
Here’s how to disable the location services for the Weather app on iPad:
- Go to the Settings app
- Follow the same procedure of going to Privacy & Security and then selecting Location Services.
- This time, when you click ‘Weather,’ click for the ‘Never‘ option instead.
- Alternatively, you can go to Settings > Weather > Location > Never.
Thereby, the weather app will no longer be able to access your real-time location. Instead, it will show you the weather results of the cities selected in the Weather app on your iPad. You can select these cities from the Weather app.
Here’s how to add a city on the Weather app on your iPad:
- Go to the Weather App
- Tap on the Sidebar menu from the top left corner of the iPad screen
- Now, you will find a search box option that lets you search for different cities around the world.
- Choose the desired city that you want to set as the default
- The weather page of that city will appear.
- At the upper right corner, notice an option called ‘Add.’ Click on it to add that specific city to your default list.
This way, the app will always show a specific city’s weather. It will not keep changing as per any changes in your real-time location. If you want, you can add multiple cities to this list.
On the other hand, if you want to remove any of the locations from the list, visit the list and swipe the place you want to remove to the left. A trash can icon will appear. Click on it, and the location will be removed.
How to change the iPad weather location on the Weather widget?
Widgets are the small spaces on your home screen with unique features like showing the time, location, news, etc. Weather widget is the weather section you see on your home screen. It is the most convenient space to check the weather quickly.
Normally, the location on the weather widget is set according to the user’s real-time location. But it’s understandable if you want to see a specific location on your weather widget all the time. Therefore, to change the default location on the weather widget, do the following:
- Long press on the weather widget
- You will find a menu pop-up. Click on the option ‘Edit “Weather”.’
- Here, you’ll already find a default Location menu.
- Click on the existing location and find a search menu where you can search your desired city
- Choose the city as per wish and set it as the default location
Why is my Weather app showing the wrong location?
Sometimes, the Weather app shows the wrong locations even if your location is turned on your iPad or iPhone. You want the real-time weather updates to come, but the widget or the app keeps showing old or incorrect data for some reason.
In that case, what you have to do is troubleshoot the following solutions:
Identify whether location permissions are correct
It might be that the location permission for the weather app is set to ‘Never’ in settings. As a result, the app cannot access your location and show the correct city’s weather.
To fix this, go to Settings, then select Weather > Location. Once you get there, select ‘While Using the App or Widgets’ or ‘Always‘ there. Now, you should be getting the correct location.
Select the location by yourself
If the previous solution did not work, try putting your desired location manually. Go to the Weather app settings and use the search bar to select a city to choose as default. You can follow the same method you used to choose a default location previously.
Reset the app and widget
Another cause behind this wrong location problem could be just a simple glitch. Apps very often show glitches or malfunction due to cached files or junk. To fix this, all you have to do is uninstall the Weather app and remove the widget. Reinstall them afterward, and you may find quick weather updates on the app again.
Check for software update
Last but not least, if your iOS is outdated and you have not made it up-to-date, you may face these issues on your weather app. Software updates keep our iPad and iPhone updated so that all apps are synced and in their best versions.
If you don’t update software regularly, apps may start glitching and eventually stop operating. That’s why another thing you can do if the weather app is not working is check for software updates on the device. You will find the option in Settings > General > Software Update.
Getting the correct weather information is crucial as we need the updates for essential decisions. But in iPhone and iPad, this information is sometimes not displayed according to our location preference.
For that reason, through this article, I have told you all about how to change weather location on iPad, and the steps are also similar for iPhone. You can set the location according to your preference and get the latest weather updates.