Cropping is an important part of video editing as it is for photo editing. People often confuse video trimming with cropping, believing both are the same, but they are not. When you trim a video, you remove entire scenes from the video, usually from the start or endpoints. On the other hand, when you crop a video, you are basically cutting parts of the whole video, reducing its overall frame size. With videos being very popular on social media platforms, it is an important skill to know. So, in this detailed article, we’ll find out how to crop a video on TikTok on iPhone.
Can you crop videos on TikTok from your iPhone?
TikTok is a video-based social networking platform that is all the craze right now around the world. Millions of people post short viral videos on the most popular trends every day. For your convenience, TikTok offers built-in video editing features. And it offers features to add music, image, text, and subtitles to your videos and the functions to trim and resize your videos.
What you cannot do in your TikTok app is cropping videos. TikTok, unfortunately, doesn’t offer this feature. So, instead, you’d have to crop your videos by some other means before posting on TikTok. And the other means include using apps or online video editors.
Here’s how to crop a video on TikTok on iPhone using third-party apps
The best option would be for you to crop your videos before uploading them on TikTok. So, you could either use third-party video editors or your iPhone’s native Photos app to crop your videos. Here are some of the best iPhone apps to crop videos. And they are:
How to crop a video on TikTok on iPhone using the Picsart app
Picsart is a very capable photo and video editing app. Though the app has in-app purchases, its video cropping feature is free. So, if you have a TikTok video and want to crop it, then use this app’s video cropping function.
Steps on how to crop videos for TikTok on iPhone using Picsart:
- Open the Picsart app
- Tap on the Plus + button located at the bottom
- Next, select your video under the Videos section
- Then tap on the Crop option located at the bottom-left
- After that, either manually crop your video by dragging from the edge or select an aspect ratio from the bottom
- Then tap on Apply for cropping your video
- Next, tap on the Next icon located at the top-right
- After that, tap on Save or Share
How to crop a video on TikTok on iPhone using the Splice app
Splice is on of the best iPhone video editing apps you’ll get on the App Store. What’s remarkable about this app is that it has a TikTok video screen size ratio by default. So, you can easily resize the frame of your video for posting on TikTok. However, if you want to use your own custom cropping, you could do that too.
Steps on how to crop videos for TikTok on iPhone using Splice:
- Open the Splice app.
- Tap on the New Project button to start your video cropping project.
- Then select your video from your iPhone’s Camera Roll and tap Next.
- After that, under Aspect ratio, select TikTok and then tap on Create.
- If you want to manually crop your video, then tap on your video timeline in the editing workspace.
- Next, tap on Crop from the bottom toolbox, and then use your finger to manually crop your video.
- After your work is done, tap on the Upload icon in the upper-right and tap on Save
Crop your video on iPhone using the InShot app
Another amazing video cropper app on our list is InShot. With this, you can easily achieve the TikTok frame size for your video. In addition, cropping videos is a free function of this app.
Steps on how to crop your TikTok video using InShot:
- Launch the InShot app and select VIDEO
- Next, select your TikTok video from your library and tap on the green done button
- Your video then appears on the app’s workspace
- Then swipe right on the bottom workspace to find and tap on CROP
- You’ll then either be able to manually crop your video or select from custom aspect ratio for multiple platforms, including TikTok
- Once complete, tap on the Done icon
- After that, tap on the Upload icon and then on the SAVE button
Check out this relevant blog on Xlightmedia: How to Trim a Video on iPhone
Here’s how to crop a TikTok video on iPhone from the Photos app
Don’t want to use a third-party app to crop your videos? Then no worries, you can use the native Photos app on your iPhone to crop your video for TikTok or any other platforms.
Steps on how to crop a video on iPhone using the Photos app:
- Open the Photos app.
- Select your video from the library and tap on Edit.
- Next, tap on the Crop and Rotate symbol located at the bottom.
- You can manually crop your video by dragging the edges.
- Or you could apply a custom crop to your video by tapping on the Aspect Ratio symbol at upper-right.
- You’ll receive multiple preloaded ratios, such as Square, 9:16, 4:5, 5:7, 3:4, 3:5, and 2:3.
What is your TikTok video’s aspect ratio?
The aspect ratio of your TikTok video should be that of a standard smartphone screen, which is 9:16. TikTok also supports a 1:1 aspect ratio with sidebars, but this size will not take up your entire screen.
What size are TikTok videos?
So, your TikTok video resolution and dimension size should be 1080×1920. Also, the maximum file size of your TikTok video for your iPhone is 287.6 MB and 72 MB for Android smartphones. However, the TikTok video ads can have a maximum size of 500 MB.
What is the TikTok video format?
Your TikTok video file format should be either MP4 or MOV, whereas the formats for TikTok video ads should be AVI or GIF.
Now that you know how to crop a video on TikTok on iPhone, you should try it yourself. Also, there are some TikTok hacks on Xlightmedia that may be useful to you. And we’ve shared them here:
How to Delete TikTok Messages on iPhone
How to Post on Instagram from iPhone