With a powerful camera on your iPhone, taking amazing videos has become much easier. However, sometimes you might need to cut out a part from your video. For this, you need to find out how to trim a video on iPhone. Fortunately, you’ll have multiple options for trimming videos on your iPhone. You could either use third-party apps like the Video Editor and Screen Recorder or your iPhone’s native apps. In this guide, we’ll discuss in-depth how to cut out parts of a video on your iPhone.
How to trim a video on iPhone through third-party apps
Trimming or cutting out parts from a video is a basic editing feature that’s a must in every video editor. Although the built-in editors on your iPhone can trim videos, dedicated third-party apps have additional features. Here we’ve discussed two apps with their own video trimmers that are useful for any video maker, and they are:
- Video Editor app for iPhone and iPad
- Screen Recorder for iPhone app
How to shorten the length of your iPhone video with the Video Editor app
It is not uncommon for content makes to shoot their videos on their iPhone. For this, a single app that meets all your video editing needs is convenient. Suppose you’d want to trim your video, add background music or audio voiceovers. In that case, the Video Editor app comes in handy. So, if you’re interested to know more than trimming, check out how to edit videos on iPhone.
Want to find out one of the best ways on how to trim a video on iPhone? Download the Video Editor app for free for your iPhone from the App Store.
With the hundreds of video editing apps offered by the App Store, finding a decent one can be a daunting task. Thankfully, the Video Editor is considered to be one of the best video editing apps for iPhone.
Steps on how to trim a video on iPhone with the Video Editor app:
- Launch the Video Editor app.
- Tap on Gallery or Videos to select your video.
- Or tap on Camera to shoot a new video.
- Once you have your clip, the video editing screen appears.
- Tap on the video timeline section, and the trimmer section appears.
- Drag the sliders to cut out parts from the start and end of your clip.
- Then tap on the Tick mark icon at the top-right corner of the screen.
- Finally, to save and share your video, tap on the Upload symbol.
How to cut out parts of a video using the Screen Recorder app
We have already established that your iPhone is more than adequate to shoot amazing videos. Certain content like reacting to videos, how-to videos, tutorials, and others is very popular. To capture these types of videos, you need a screen recording tool on your iPhone.
Though your iPhone has a built-in screen capture feature, the Screen Recorder for iPhone has a ton of extra features. For example, after recording your video using the Screen Recorder app, you can edit it with its built-in video editor.
Want to find out one of the best ways on how to trim a video on iPhone? Install the Screen Recorder for iPhone app for your iPhone for free from the App Store.
With the inbuilt video editor of this app, you can add filters and stickers, adjust speed and volume, and trim your video. Additionally, the Screen Recorder app is also considered to be one of the best screen recording apps for iPhone.
Steps on how to trim a video on iPhone with the Screen Recorder app:
- Launch the Screen Recorder for iPhone app.
- Select your video from the My Recordings section.
- Tap on the Video Editor button from the bottom of the screen.
- Then tap on the Trim option.
- Move the start- and end-point sliders to remove unwanted parts from your video.
- After that, click on the Tick mark icon to finish your trimming.
- Then tap on the Export button at the top-right corner of the screen.
- Select the resolution of you video from the given options. They are 360p, 480p, 720p & 1080p.
- Finally, save your video on your iPhone Camera Roll, or share it on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and other platforms.
How to trim a video on iPhone through its built-in apps
The apps mentioned earlier are helpful and have additional features other than a video trimmer. However, if you don’t want to use third-party apps, then you could give your iPhone’s native apps a try. You can easily edit a video on your iPhone with its default apps. Here are two iPhone native apps with which you can trim videos on iPhone, and they are:
- Photos app
- iMovie app
How to cut a part of a video on iPhone with the Photos app
You can edit your iPhone video with the built-in Photos app. Also, you can easily select your video from the app and shorten its length with its built-in video trimmer. The steps required to accomplish this are straightforward.
Here are the steps on how to trim a video from the iPhone Photos app:
- Open the Photos app.
- Select your video from its library.
- Then tap on the Edit option at the top-right corner of your screen.
- On the editing screen, move the start and end sliders to trim the length of your video.
- Tap Done.
- Then select either Save Video as New Clip or Save Video.
- Your video will now be saved on the Photos app.
How to trim video in iMovie on your iPhone
Another way to trim your iPhone videos is to use the iMovie app. It is a free video editing app designed by Apple for its users. It has several functions, including a video trimmer. Continue to follow this comprehensive guide to learn how to split video clips in iMovie.
Steps on how to cut video clips in iMovie:
- Open the iMovie app.
- Tap on the Plus + button to begin a new video project. (Or you could select and edit an existing project)
- Then tap on Movie.
- Choose your video from your Media library and tap Create Movie.
- On the editing section, tap on the video timeline section.
- Then drag the start and end of the timeline to shorten the length of your video.
- Once finished, tap on Done to save or share your project.
If you want to show your viewers the part of your videos that matters the most, then a video trimmer is an important feature. There are multiple ways on how to trim a video on iPhone, as explained in this guide above. You could either use the third-party apps or try your iPhone’s built-in apps. However, the best choice would be to use the Video Editor app for iPhone and iPad.