Knowing how to type square root on an iPhone is crucial as we might need to use the square root symbol on the iPhone frequently. We might need to send any mathematical problems to friends or anyone over text or need to calculate any value in the iPhone calculator.
The square root is a mathematical operator that produces a value of the digit, which will be again turned into the original form if multiplied by itself. The square root symbol is ( √ ). It is a frequently used mathematical symbol for effective mathematical communication.
Knowing the importance and frequent usage of the square root symbol (√), you might be wondering how to type square root on iPhone.
Well, as an iPhone user, you are not getting any designated square root (√) sign on the iPhone keyboard. But yet you can use it. You might use any third-party keyboard app, keyboard shortcuts, or copy and paste from the web. It depends upon your choice.
You need to know the methods deeply in order to decide which one is easy to remember and to apply. We are here to help in this case.
In this article, we are going to provide you with a complete guide on how to type square root on an iPhone step by step, both in the text and calculator.
Let us get started.
Square root refers to a special mathematical operator that operates over any non-negative real numbers and results in another non-negative real number, which can be again transformed into the original form by multiplying by itself 2 times.
For example, if you want to square root 49, then you will write this as (√49) and the result will be 7. When you multiply 7 by 7 (7×7), it will result in the previous form, which is 49.
Usually, the resultant of a square root comes in both positive (+) and negative (-) form, like √49 will result in both +7 and -7. But conventionally, we only calculate the positive value for calculation (both types of values are calculated for research and academic purposes).
You can use negative numbers also under the square root (√) symbol, but that will result in an imaginary number which is not a considerable form to calculate for our daily life calculations. That is why this is avoided in day-to-day life.
As we know what a square root is, now it is time to know how to type a square root on an iPhone.
We have discussed before that there are no appointed keys in the iPhone keyboard for the square root (√) operation. But there are some ways to bypass this and do our work.
There are 3 methods that we can use to square root (√) on an iPhone. The methods are:
- Via copy & paste method
- Via text replacement method
- Via third-party keyboard apps
You can use any of them. But to choose the right one among the 3 methods, you need to know about the process first.
We are going to discuss how to type a square root on text first; then we will discuss the process in the iPhone calculator.
So let us start the discussion on the methods one by one.
Through Copy & Paste
This is the simplest method among the 3 methods but not a suggestable one as it is a frustrating process.
You need to follow these steps to type a square root:
- Open your Web Browser
- Search on the search bar “square root symbol”
- Copy the square root symbol (√)
- Now paste it on the text field and type the number
That is all you need to know to type the square root symbol on the keyboard through the copy and paste method. But actually, this is not typing, you are just copying from the web and pasting it on the texts.
This is a frustrating process as you need to copy this thing multiple times for multiple times of use.
That is why we are going to introduce you to 2 other methods which are more efficient than this method.
This text replacement is also known as the keyboard shortcut. This is one of the most convenient and efficient ways to type square root symbols on a keyboard iPhone without installing any third-party keyboard app.
Setting up the shortcut key
Follow these steps to execute this process:
- Go to the Settings app
- Select General
- Tap on Keyboard > Text Replacement
- There you will see a “+” icon on the right top corner of the screen
- Tap on the “+” button
- Now you will see 2 fields named “Phrase” and “Shortcut”
- First type the phrase that will indicate the keyboard to turn on the shortcut command (i.e: type sqrt to activate the shortcut command of the square root (√) symbol) in the Phrase field
- Then type the square root (√) symbol in the Shortcut field
- Now there is a Save button to the right top corner of the screen
- Tap on the “Save” button
Now the shortcut command is all set. It is time to apply the shortcut in the text.
Typing through the shortcut command
Follow these steps to put in the shortcut command:
- Type “sqrt” on the keyboard
- Tap on the space key
- The square root (√) symbol will appear there
- Now type the number you want to
That is all you need to know to execute this process properly.
This is the best way to type square root on iPhone without going through any third-party keyboard app.
If you are not satisfied with this method and want a more appropriate shortcut key in the keyboard, then only using any third-party keyboard applications can bring peace to your mind.
So we are going to discuss how to type square root on iPhone via third-party keyboard apps.
This method includes using third-party keyboard apps.
But there is a question about using third-party apps. The question is why you may not use a third-party keyboard app on your iPhone. You will get the answer hereafter.
The main threat in this method is that your personal information might get stolen through the backdoor of the keyboard apps as they are not verified by the Apple authority. It is not suggested for security protection of the iPhone.
Though if you are willing to use a third-party keyboard app to type square root on iPhone, follow the process described below.
- Go to the Apple Store
- Type Keyboard on the search bar
- A number of keyboard apps will appear there
- Choose one among them (can be chosen based on the app ratings and user reviews)
- Tap on the selected app
- Press the install button
- After installing the keyboard app, launch it
- Give it the required permissions
That is all. Your new third-party keyboard app is installed successfully.
Now it is time to use it to type square root in the text.
Follow these steps:
- Tap anywhere in the text field (in Notepad or messaging app)
- There is a Globe icon on your iPhone’s default keyboard
- Tap on the Globe icon
- It will take you to options to change the keyboard
- Select the installed third-party keyboard app from there
- Your newly installed third-party keyboard is active now
- Now tap on the mathematical operator button or any mathematical kind of button (+-*/) there
- There you will find the square root (√) symbol
- Tap on the square root (√) symbol
- Now type the number you want to
That is all. This is all you will need to know to type square root on iPhone via a third-party keyboard app.
We are still warning you about the fact that experts do not suggest using any kind of third-party apps as there are security issues with your private data and a chance of security breaches to sensitive information through your iPhone.
The rest depends upon your decision.
“Want to change the same old font on your iPhone? Font keyboard apps are the perfect solution for iPhone users. The Fontix – Fonts & Keyboard is the best font keyboard app for iPhone and offers a wide range of unique and stylish fonts to choose from. And more importantly, it doesn’t steal any personal information or data from your device.”
We perform mathematical calculation terms more on a calculator than using them in the texts.
So, knowing how to use square root on an iPhone calculator is also crucial.
So, before entering the square root symbol on an iPhone calculator, we need to know first where the square root button is on an iPhone calculator.
Where is the square root button on an iPhone calculator?
Follow these steps to bring up the square root (√) symbol on the iPhone calculator:
Turning off Portrait Orientation Lock
- Swipe up the screen from the bottom end
- There you will find a Rotation Lock icon
- If the icon is already red, that means the screen rotation is locked
- Tap on the icon, and the rotation lock will be gone
- A text will appear “Portrait Orientation Lock: Off“
The screen can be rotated now.
Let us bring up the square root (√) symbol through the scientific mode in the iPhone calculator.
Square root symbol on the iPhone calculator
Follow these steps:
- Open the Calculator app
- After opening the calculator app, rotate the screen to the landscape orientation
- After turning the screen into the landscape orientation, you will activate the scientific mode of the iPhone calculator
- There you will find mathematical operator symbols: “2√x, ∛x, y√x”
- “2√x” means that the result will again retain its original value if it gets multiplied by itself 2 times.
- “∛x” means that the result will again retain its original value if it gets multiplied by itself 3 times.
- “y√x” means that the result will again retain its original value if it gets multiplied by itself y times.
- Choose what type of operator you need
- Enter the number that you want to square root
- Then tap on “2√x, ∛x, y√x” or any of the buttons that will meet your requirements
- Then tap on the equal (=) sign
- The result will be displayed on the screen
That is all you will need to know to do square root on an iPhone calculator.
Using the square root (√) symbol is necessary in many cases. It is often required by the students and teachers to send any kind of mathematical problems to each other over texts or might need to calculate fast whenever they do not get the chance to use any calculator for that.
For these kinds of circumstances, we have discussed every possible method and the way of execution step-by-step on how to type square root on an iPhone. We have discussed both how to do square root on the iPhone calculator and texts as well.
We have covered everything regarding the topic. Yet if you have any kind queries or suggestions, write to us without any hesitation. We will appreciate feedback from you.
Wishing you a fantastic experience using the iPhone calculator and texts for mathematical communications!!!